Recording of Discussion
Please find a recording of the webinar, which took place on 22 July 2020, here.
We will use this platform to announce future episodes of the Africa Recovery Strategy Series.
Impact investment has tremendous but likely underutilised potential to advance SDG 10, which centers around reducing Inequalities. Until recently, impact investors have focused on many other SDGs and not actively interrogated how to actively impact invest to improve equity and equality, especially to counteract age-old economic disparities along lines of gender, race, national origin. Today, there is an increasing visibility of the deleterious impact of inequality, particularly racial and gender inequality, on our economies and societies.
What can and should impact investors be doing to tackle these issues? How does SDG 10 fit into the wider strategies impact funds are exploring and what can be done to further improve equality within the sector and portfolios?
- Synergies between SDG 10 on reducing inequalities and other SDGs
- Key areas impact investors are already addressing (ex: gender lens segment growth)
- Key areas impact investors still need to address (ex: racial representation)
- Interplay with gender and racial representation within impact fund leadership and teams
- Recent developments
- Expected or recommended strategies
- The UN’s SDGs: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/
- SDG 10 Progress Report: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg10
- #Envision2030 Goal 10: Reduce Inequalities: https://www.un.org/development/desa/disabilities/envision2030-goal10.html
- Goal 10: Reduced inequalities: https://www.sdgfund.org/goal-10-reduced-inequalities
- Investing in Africa’s People Yields Impact, Strengthens Efforts to Beat Pandemic: https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/immersive-story/2020/06/17/investing-in-africas-people-yields-impact-strengthens-efforts-to-beat-pandemic
- African venture funding is expected to slow but impact investors are boosting health and agri-tech startups: https://qz.com/africa/1869334/covid-19-impact-investors-eye-african-agriculture-health-startups/
- A tale of two continents: fighting inequality in Africa: https://www.oxfam.org/en/research/tale-two-continents-fighting-inequality-africa
- Impact@Africa: https://www.impactatafrica.org/
- The Shell Foundation: https://shellfoundation.org/
- Uhusiano Capital: http://uhusianocapital.com/
- RH Bophelo: https://www.rhbophelo.co.za/
Webinar series supported by Flawless Events